Wednesday, March 21

The Saga of the Eight Hour Black Stole

The black stole is finally finished and gifted. I'm so glad it's done. Happy dance! I do not like working with black or very dark colors. Even with an Ott light it is very hard to see what you are doing with black. (I plead temporary insanity that I gave my hairdresser carte blanc to ask me to knit anything without including some "I won't do this" guidelines.) I've been putting off getting a haircut because I didn't want to go back empty handed. It was clear this week that I couldn't stall any longer.

Sometime back I did start the stole twice using the Feather & Fan pattern. I ripped it out twice. I couldn't even manage this very easy lace pattern with black yarn. I put it aside and told myself I had time and tried to quietly talk myself out of shoving the hated yarn into the trash. I did promise and I have to deliver. But I kept trying to think of a way to get out of making the "obligation stole." Each day my eyes would fall on the black yarn in my knitting basket, reminding me that I had to do something with them soon. I was running out of time...

Inspiration struck 2 days ago. What if I crocheted the stole instead of knitting it? I can crochet much faster than I knit. Do I have something that would look good as a stole, and I'm familiar with the pattern? Hmm, how about that ripple afghan pattern I've made many times? That might work. I'm desperate! Hunt up the pattern, start crocheting about 2:30 pm Tuesday. I'm through ball #1 and into ball #2 when hubby gets home from work. The stole is looking pretty good.

Hubby took me out for dinner at Carrabas as a very belated Valentine's Day present. (If you look back on my blog, you'll see we had so much snow it closed everything down on V-Day. I can be very patient about these things if I have to be.) BTW, the food and service was very good. Came back and immediately started crocheting again. Ball #2 finished and starting ball #3 when hubby goes to bed. Finished ball #3 and tucked in the final ends about 1:30 am. Woo-hoo! Finished in only 8 hours! I'm a speed demon with a crochet hook! LOL!

Why the haste you ask? I had a deadline---a haircut appointment at 10 am today.

You'll be happy to know that Donna was thrilled with it! She said it was exactly what she wanted. Whew, what a relief! I explained that the stole was made from a wool/silk blend and gave her washing instructions. She's happy so I'm happy. :-) It's done and I can move onto something I enjoy working on.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woo hoo. Obligation done! It looks beautiful too. good choice!
elizabeth

Bridget said...

It's so pretty, you'd never guess looking at it that you were driven nuts with the whole project!

Jessica said...

Wow, GREAT, Vicki! I know this one had been weighing on you. SO glad you can move on - and I didn;t know you were a chrochet whiz! :-)

Sarah said...

Great work! I often forget about crochet, but it has its place too.

Anonymous said...

Would it be cheating to knit such a rashly-promised thing in a lighter color, then dye the finished item black? (Of course, black can be hard to achieve, and require a lot of dye, but if you were desperate . . . muttering tapering off) Probably now the lesson is truly learned, though, and the stipulations will be stated in advance. I am happy to have learned this lesson from you! Thanks!
vj